HOMER MINING DISTRICT
The Homer mining district was established in 1878 and included the May Lundy mine, which is situated at over 9000 ft. over looking beautiful Crystal Lake. The mine was named after the pretty daughter of W. J. Lundy who operated a sawmill supplying Bodie with lumber in a canyon named after him. A mill was built at the site by the Crystal Lake Gold Mining Co; a successor of the May Lundy, a tunnel was run near the mill site to cut the veins nearly 1500 ft. from the outcrop. The actual May Lundy mineshaft is located high above the mill site and was connected via an aerial tramway. The hike to the mill site is over 3 miles on an old road with a grade of 65 degrees at times. This is a wonderful expedition or exploring trip. Lundy Lake is also beautiful in autumn.
Northwest of the scenic attractions of Mono Lake lies the historic Homer Mining District. Established in 1879, it encompasses the colorfully-named May Lundy, Gorilla, Grand Prize, Wolverine, Gray Eagle, Summit, Lucky Mortan, Last Chance, Bay Queen, and Bonanza mines. The hub of the Mining district was the town of Lundy, where outlines of a thriving Mining community may still be seen: former locations of houses, hotels, saloons, overgrown roads and rock foundations, adits, a stamp mill, and trails leading into the district's many Mining remains.
Lundy is commemorated by a monument. Visit the town's small grocery store to see a display of historic photos and artifacts of the area. Access to most of the Homer Mining District's features is by trails. The trails, climbing to the mine and sites located 1,000 to 3,000 feet above Lundy Canyon, tend to be arduous. A particularly spectacular trail leads from Lundy Canyon to the historic town site of Bennettville at 9,800 feet. Though there is no wheelchair access to any of the historic sites in the area, wheelchair restrooms are located at the Lundy Trailhead near the Parette Mill site. From the trailhead, the scenery is a spectacular example of glacial geology and plate tectonics as well as a place for pondering the human drive to find mineral wealth in these rugged peaks and canyons.
From Lee Vining, near the intersection of highways 120 and 395, drive north on 395 for about 7 miles. Turn left; Lundy is located about 4 miles west of Highway 395 on a paved county road.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Bridgeport Ranger Station
Bridgeport, CA 93517-0595